Members for Crime Prevention Task Force

first_imgNova Scotia’s Justice minister is seeking community members interested in serving on the Minister’s Task Force on Safer Streets and Communities. Earlier this year Justice Minister Murray Scott announced the formation of a task force to look at community programs, government services, legislation and policing initiatives to identify and promote programs that are making a positive difference in communities. “Task Force members will seek out ideas and information from Nova Scotians about how we can address and prevent crime in our communities,” said Mr. Scott. “Our goal is to take this input, along with a review of successful programs and legislation in other jurisdictions, to consider how we can compliment and enhance these programs.” The task force will include representation from law enforcement, education, community development, health, social services, government, youth, rural and urban communities, crime victims, diverse cultures and others interested in addressing crime in Nova Scotia. Task force members will meet with community representatives across the province. Public input will also be sought through online responses and written submissions. The information gathered will be used to help create a provincial crime prevention strategy. “Many community organizations, municipalities, police agencies and government departments are actively promoting community safety and development, but we know communities can’t do it alone, and must be supported in their efforts,” said Mr. Scott. Applicants for task force membership should submit a letter outlining their qualifications and relevant experience to:Policy, Planning and Research, Department of Justice, 5151 Terminal Rd., P.O. Box 7, Halifax, N.S.,B3J 2L6. Letters can also be faxed to 902-424-6403 or e-mailed to [email protected] . Participation will include some travel costs which will be reimbursed. Deadline for applications is Monday, Oct. 30. Additional information is available by calling 902-424-8647, e-mailing [email protected] or on the Department of Justice website at www.gov.ns.ca/justlast_img read more

Man rescued after boat capsized in Lough Ree has died

first_imgA MAN IN his 20s has died and another man is still missing after their boat capsized on Lough Ree yesterday.A third man remains critically ill in hospital after the incident on Thursday afternoon.The search for the missing man resumed early this morning at the large midlands lake on the River Shannon.The major search began on the lake after the boat carrying the three men capsized as they were travelling to Carnagh from Hodson Bay in Athlone. Conditions on the lake at the time were turbulent with strong winds.The alarm was raised by a member of the public who was in the area and saw the conditions the boat was facing.The crew had found one of the three men in the water at around 4pm, while a second was found at 5.15pm.This morning gardaí confirmed that the man had died in hospital, hours after he was rescued from the water by a volunteer RNLI lifeboat crew.Read: Man missing after boat capsizes on Lough Ree >last_img read more