26 October 2011The South African government is committed to maintaining prudent fiscal policy, which is good news for investors, BoE Private Clients said following Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan’s Medium-Term Budget on Tuesday.“Given the global backdrop of sovereign risk and the potential for years of slower growth – as austerity and consolidation loom – the value of this commitment cannot be overestimated,” BoE Private Clients economist Madalet Sessions said in a statement.“Not only did Minister Gordhan highlight the trade-off between government consumption expenditure and infrastructure investment, but he also indicated a clear preference by stating that South Africa had to prioritise public infrastructure spending,” she said.“He further demonstrated government’s commitment to enhancing the growth potential of the economy by saying that the country had to borrow to invest in infrastructure – not government consumption.”Gordhan said for the next three years, the National Treasury would aim to moderate spending growth in order to stabilise debt as a percentage of GDP.“This commitment to prudence and fiscal consolidation over the medium term suggests that SA’s fiscal affairs will continue to stack up well in comparison with developed markets,” said Sessions.“This prudence should in the long-run pay handsome dividends as the threat of higher taxes and interest rates in the future remain contained.”Sessions said this would enhance South Africa’s attractiveness as an investment destination.Sapa
Josip Ilicic is again the False 9 with Papu Gomez and Mario Pasalic, as Atalanta seek their first Champions League point against Manchester City. It kicks off at the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza, known also as San Siro, at 20.00 GMT. Follow the build-up and action as it happens from this game and Lokomotiv Moscow-Juventus on the LIVEBLOG. La Dea are joint fourth in Serie A, but have lost all three Champions League outings so far, including a 5-1 defeat at the Etihad, despite originally taking the lead. Duvan Zapata is still out of action, while Luis Muriel is left on the bench as a wild card for the second half, meaning Ilicic is once again the False 9, supported by Gomez and surprisingly Pasalic rather than Ruslan Malinovskyi. Marten De Roon returns after missing the 2-0 loss to Cagliari through suspension. Manchester City made the trip without Phil Foden, who was sent off in the last meeting with Atalanta, while David Silva, Rodri, Oleksandr Zinchenko, Leroy Sane and Aymeric Laporte are injured. Ederson returns in goal after being rested in the 2-1 win over Southampton at the weekend, while Gabriel Jesus gets the nod upfront rather than Sergio Aguero. Former Juventus and Inter full-back Joao Cancelo replaces Jose Tasende. Atalanta: Gollini; Toloi, Palomino, Djimisti; Hateboer, Freuler, De Roon, Castagne; Pasalic; Ilicic, Gomez Atalanta bench: Sportiello, Kjaer, Masiello, Muriel, Arana, Malinovskyi, Barrow Man City: Ederson; Cancelo, Otamendi, Fernandinho, Mendy; Gundogan, De Bruyne; Mahrez, Bernardo Silva, Sterling; Gabriel Jesus Man City bench: Bravo, Walker, Stones, Aguero, Angelino, Garcia, Doyle Ref: Kulbakov (BLR) Watch Serie A live in the UK on Premier Sports for just £11.99 per month including live LaLiga, Eredivisie, Scottish Cup Football and more. Visit: https://subscribe.premiersports.tv/
Sahara Group on Saturday defended its decision to snap sponsorship ties with the BCCI and withdraw from the IPL, saying the relationship between the two has become so strained that it could not be possible to continue any longer.”The decision we took to end ties was not a bad one at all. We had enough of it. Any relationship does not break on one single issue only. We had a long relationship. It has to do with many issues and has happened continuously,” Sahara Group chief Subroto Roy told a press conference in Mumbai.”There were so many genuine things we had but they (BCCI) did not give heed to such a small thing like opening the bid. They did not open the bid (when Sahara had submitted its bid for the first time). Rules were broken for other teams but we were not given natural justice,” he said.Roy said Sahara had approached the BCCI to settle the issues through arbitration and it had even proposed an arbitrator but the Cricket Board was not interested.”We even approached the BCCI for arbitration and even proposed the name of the arbitrator,” said Roy.He said considering the number of matches reduced from the originally-proposed 94, Pune Warriors paid 25 per cent more money to the Cricket Board for owning the franchisee.”It was 94 matches calculation, the gate money to collection of advertisement money would have been 25 per cent more. We have paid 25 per cent more. Differential amount is 25 per cent of the total amount,” he said.Roy said he would not want to blame anybody but he was snapping ties with the BCCI and pulling out Pune Warriors from the IPL as it involved emotional issues.”Again without blaming anybody, I thought it would give us lot of happiness. It involved emotional issues. Let us put all this money in sports development in villages.”advertisement
The ambiguity regarding the fate of the proposed friendly match between Manchester United and Juventus on August 1 has been cleared to an extent after the West Bengal government apprised the All India Football Federation (AIFF) about the developments.”This match will be held only after AIFF’s approval. There was a communication gap (with the AIFF). I have spoken to AIFF secretary Kushal Das. Everything is fine now,” West Bengal sports minister Madan Mitra said in Kolkata on Tuesday.Das also confirmed that he had received a verbal request from Mitra and the AIFF would be forwarding the necessary documents to the international body, FIFA.”I received a call from Mr Mitra today and I told him to send the official documents as soon as possible. There isn’t much time left for the match and we won’t be able to do anything unless they send us the request,” Das told Mail Today.Earlier, AIFF vice-president Subrata Dutta had expressed his doubts regarding the marquee match. He had said the organisers needed to take permission from the AIFF and the sports ministry before organising a match of this magnitude.Without the AIFF and sports ministry’s consent, one cannot organise such a match. It is required to take permission at least two-and-a-half months in advance,” Dutta had said. But Mitra said that it was too good an opportunity to be missed.”We now have to get in touch with (sports minister) Ajay Maken. We don’t want to let go of this golden opportunity. I don’t think we will get to see a match of this magnitude in the next 50 years,” Mitra said.advertisementMitra further said he would discuss the scheduling of the match with United’s global sponsorship director Casper Stylsvig and Juventus’ commercial director Francesco Calvo in a few days.The match is being organised by a sports management firm with headquarters in the UK.”We wanted to organise this in Kolkata, the Mecca of football in India. We approached the state government first. It’s going to be a huge thing, so there will always be hurdles. But we will overcome them,” a top official of the firm said. He added they were hopeful of clinching the deal and both the teams would be coming with their first team players.But the availability of Juventus remains doubtful as their pre-season schedule is choc-a-bloc.They are scheduled to play a friendly match against Paris Saint Germain on July 31 while United are yet to announce the final destination of their tour which sees them play in Shanghai on July 25 and a match in Norway on August 5.
River Plate defender Jonatan Maidana is eyeing a meeting with Real Madrid after his team’s Copa Libertadores success on Sunday.A 3-1 second-leg win over rivals Boca Juniors in Madrid saw River seal a 5-3 aggregate success.That sent Marcelo Gallardo’s men to the United Arab Emirates for the Club World Cup, where they will face ES Tunis, Al Ain or Team Wellington before a potential meeting with European champions Madrid. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Man Utd ready to spend big on Sancho and Haaland in January Who is Marcus Thuram? Lilian’s son who is top of the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! Maidana said River were targeting a clash against the La Liga giants later this month.”Now we go for Real Madrid, our next goal,” the defender said, via TyC Sports.”We won a fair final, now to celebrate the achievement.” Lo mejor del 3-1 de @CARPoficial ante @BocaJrsOficial para consagrarse campeón de la #CONMEBOLLibertadores pic.twitter.com/SIxHzoxGEh— CONMEBOL Libertadores (@Libertadores) December 10, 2018River had to come from behind in the second leg, Lucas Pratto cancelling out Dario Benedetto’s opener to force extra time.Wilmar Barrios’ red card turned the game in River’s favour and they made the most of their numerical advantage, goals from Juan Quintero and Gonzalo Martinez securing their win.”A lot of the match was very even,” Maidana said. “After the equaliser, we managed well and we could win it.”In the second half we improved because in the first we made a big mistake. We talked at half-time and we tried not to miss so many passes and we achieved [our goal] because we dominated the game.”
The 2012 Defence Force Nationals will be played from Monday, 29 October until Friday, 2 November at the Enoggera Barracks in Brisbane. 21 teams from across Australia will take part in the event, including three invitational teams from New Zealand, from as far away as the southern states and the Northern Territory.Six Constituent Bodies (CB) will take part in the championships – Northern Territory, South Queensland, Sydney Metros, Southern States, ACT/Country and North Queensland as well as New Zealand. The teams will compete across three divisions – Men’s Open, Women’s Open and Senior Men. Rounds games will be played on the first three days of competition, before finals are played on Thursday. There will be a Trans Tasman event on the Friday across the Men’s Open, Women’s Open and Men’s 30’s divisions, with each division to play one game each against New Zealand. Last year’s Champion CB, South Queensland will be looking for another solid performance at the event, and has entered five teams into the championships. ACT/County was named last year’s Most Improved CB. For more information and to keep up-to-date with all of the latest news and results from the 2012 Defence Nationals, please visit the following website: http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=14-6027-0-0-0 Related LinksDefence Nationals
Pochettino has no problems with Tottenham fans criticismby Ian Ferrisa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino says “the fans are right to criticise” after their poor start to the season.Spurs have eight points from six Premier League matches and were knocked out of the Carabao Cup by League Two Colchester United on Tuesday.Tottenham reached the Champions League final and finished fourth in the league last season.”If we don’t get the results that people expect, we need to accept the criticism,” said Pochettino”For nearly five years it was all praise for Tottenham. Now, if we deserve to be criticised, we need to accept that.”Sometimes critics can make you realise you need to wake up,” said Argentine Pochettino.”Damage has happened that we need to fix. We are, at the moment, fixing problems to try to be better and get the results we expect.”We’re not so far away. Our performances are not as bad as the feeling creates. I’m sure that we are going to start to win games, but we need to find the solution.” TagsPremiership NewsAbout the authorIan FerrisShare the loveHave your say
APTN National NewsSome are calling the leak of Attawapiskat’s audit a smear job to discredit Chief Theresa Spence.NDP MP Paul Dewar wasn’t impressed with the timing of the leak Monday.Dewar has also spent time with Spence on Victoria Island where she’s been holding her hunger strike since Dec. 11.He joined APTN National News in our Ottawa bureau.
CJ Miles, a left-handed veteran who can score in bunches at times, remains without a team. But not for long. The former Utah Jazz shooting guard has generated interest from many teams — including Utah, which would not like to see him depart. But the Salt Lake Tribune reported that Miles could decide in the next few days on the Los Angeles Lakers.The newspaper reported that Miles has met with representatives of the Jazz, Cleveland Cavaliers and Dallas Mavericks. Still, playing backup to Kobe Bryant and competing being a part of a championship-caliber team could appeal to Miles more.Not good for Utah is that Miles is an unrestricted free agent, meaning that if he signs somewhere else, the Jazz would not receive anything in return. The 6-foot-6, 222-pound Miles could make a decision this week. If he signs with the Lakers, the source said, it’ll likely be a one- or two-year deal via Los Angeles’ mini mid-level exception. Miles, 25, has already met with Dallas and Cleveland since free agency started July 1.It makes sense that the Lakers would covet the 25-year-old Miles. The Lakers are thin at shooting guard behind Bryant. They have second-year player Andrew Goudelock and Christain Evenga — no disrespect, but they do not elicit a lot of excitement.Miles is effective enough to give Bryant extended breathers, which would be beneficial to the Lakers come the playoffs. Also, Miles is an above-average, tough perimeter defender that could play some small forward in a pinch, too.The problem for the Lakers: Miles, who averaged 9.8 points on 38 per cent shooting last year, could be seeking more than what the Lakers can offer. A mini mid-level is only about $3 million a year. And while Miles’ stock has dropped some over the past season, playing so-so on a bad team, he is young and and probably wants a longer deal.What the Lakers have going for them is that they are the Lakers. That lure could be irresistible for Miles.